Application Deadline to File for Texarkana, Texas City Council Seat Nears
Candidate applications are now being accepted for the positions of Wards 2, 3, and 5 on the Texarkana, Texas city council. A general election will be held on Saturday, May 9 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for the purpose of electing ward representatives.Applications will be accepted by City Secretary Jennifer Evans until Friday, February 27 at 5 p.m. In the event that the city secretary is out of the office, packets can be submitted to the front reception desk at city hall and will be reviewed and processed upon the city secretary’s return. Interested citizens can pick up a candidate packet at city hall during regular business hours, or download an application online.
Mayor Pro Tem Tina Veal-Gooch has filed for Ward 3, and Christy Paddock has filed for Ward 5. Paddock was appointed to fill an unfinished term as Ward 5 representative at the January 26 city council meeting, and will now need to be elected to a new term. No candidates have filed for Ward 2 representative.
The City of Texarkana, Texas will host a single polling location in each ward, which is a change from years past. The polling locations are as follows:
- The polling place for Election Precinct 1 (Ward 1) shall be the Liberty-Eylau C. K. Bender Elementary School located at 2300 Buchanan Road.
- The polling place for Election Precinct 2 (Ward 2) shall be the Theron Jones Early Literacy Center located at 2600 West 15th Street.
- The polling place for Election Precinct 3 (Ward 3) shall be the Texas City Hall Municipal Building located at 220 Texas Boulevard.
- The polling place for Election Precinct 4 (Ward 4) shall be Texarkana College located at 2500 N. Robison Road.
- The polling place for Election Precinct 5 (Ward 5) shall be the Pleasant Grove High School located at 5406 McKnight Road.
- The polling place for Election Precinct 6 (Ward 6) shall be the Pleasant Grove Middle School located at 5605 Cooks Lane.
Early voting will be conducted each week day from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. beginning on April 27, and ending on May 1, at Texarkana, Texas City Hall, 220 Texas Boulevard. Early voting will also be held from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on May 4 and May 5, at city hall.