Seven Eye-Opening Facts About Earth Day [VIDEO]
Earth Day is finally here! For many it's just another day but for some it's about preserving our planet and being thankful for this big blue marble we have been given to live on.According to the website Mashable here are seven eye-opening facts about Earth Day.
1. Atmospheric CO2 are at a record high.
2. We dump 19.4 billion pounds of plastic into the ocean each year.
3. An estimated 18 million acres of forests are lost each year.
4. Earth will face a 40 percent shortfall in water supply by 2030.
5. Climate change-related extreme events, plus population growth, could increase hunger by up to 20 percent by 2050.
6. September Arctic sea ice extent is declining at a rate of 13.3 percent per decade.
7. Earth is off to its warmest start on record.
Watch this YouTube video for a more in depth analysis on the 7 eye-opening facts about Earth Day.
Check out this really cool video on Earth Day.
Why do we have Earth Day? According to the website EarthDay.org this is why we celebrate.
Earth Day broadens the base of support for environmental programs, rekindles public commitment and builds community activism around the world through a broad range of events and activities. Earth Day is the largest civic event in the world, celebrated simultaneously around the globe by people of all backgrounds, faiths and nationalities. More than a billion people participate in our campaigns every year.
So whether you choose to celebrate or not, we need to learn to build a better future for future generations and help preserve our environment year round. Be sure to check out Lisa's blog and poll about Earth Day.