DPS has Election Identification Certificates
The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) is reminding Texans in advance of the upcoming Primary Election that Election Identification Certificates (EIC) are available year-round at all Texas driver license offices.The certificates are for individuals who are in need proper identification, which is required to vote. DPS will be deploying mobile stations to various locations across Texas; and alternate approved locations will be issuing EICs in select counties. Additionally, select driver license offices will be open on Saturday, February 20 and February 27, to issue EICs only.
The 2016 Primary Election is March 1, with early voting from Feb. 16-26. The last day to register to vote is Feb. 1.
If you are not registered to vote in Texas you can fill out an application from the election administrators office at the Bowie County Courthouse.
In Miller County, Ark., you can register at the office of motor vehicles on East 4th Street or with the County Clerk inside the Courthouse in Texarkana.
Texans can obtain an EIC at:
- Any of the more than 220 Texas driver license offices during regular business hours throughout the year.
- Select driver license offices on Saturday, Feb. 20 and Feb. 27, from 10AM – 2PM (EIC transactions only).
- EIC mobile station locations (EIC transactions only).
- Alternate approved locations issuing only EICs in select counties.
Most residents already have an acceptable form of photo identification needed for voting and will not need or qualify for an EIC. If an applicant already has any of the following documents, they are not eligible to receive an EIC:
- Texas driver license – unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
- Texas personal identification card – unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting.
- U.S. passport book or card – unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting.
- Texas concealed handgun license – unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting.
- U.S. Military identification with photo – unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting.
- U.S. Citizenship Certificate or Certificate of Naturalization with photo.
To apply for an EIC, applicants must visit one of the locations listed above and complete an application for a Texas Election Identification Certificate (DL-14C).
To qualify for an EIC, an applicant must:
- Bring documentation to verify U.S. citizenship and Identity
- Be eligible to vote in Texas (Bring a valid voter registration card or submit a voter registration application through the Texas Department of Public Safety)
- Be a Texas resident
- Be 17 years and 10 months or older
To avoid delays or complications, DPS urges potential applicants to make sure they have the necessary documentation before arriving at the office, mobile station or alternate approved location.
The EIC receipt an individual receives will include their photo and can be used for voting until the permanent card is delivered by mail.
The EIC is free of charge to qualifying applicants and is valid for six years. There is no expiration date for an EIC for citizens 70 years of age or older. The EIC can only be used for the purpose of voting in an election and may not be used as personal identification.
For more information on the requirements, exemptions and process for obtaining an EIC, please visit their website.
For more information on voting in Texas, visit the Secretary of State’s website.